Monday, June 22, 2009

Excitement at work

I was contemplating leaving work early today to work from home. I have a big deadline due, and with summer staff around- sometimes it’s hard to focus. I’m glad I didn’t leave early, because I would have missed this!

At noon one of our Park Attendants noticed smoke coming from a nearby trail intersection. After confirming that we didn’t have a prescribed burn schedule we got on the horn to 911. Luckily a squad was already hanging out in our parking lot (keeping an eye on the crazy beach folks). The police officer beat the living snot out of it (picture 1) just as the fire department arrived. The second picture is him claiming “victory” over the fire.

Thanks to the quick work of our local public servants only small patch of our prairie suffered! Well, public servants and mother nature. The stifling humidity and recent rain also slowed the progress of the fire. No thanks, however, to the loser who ignored our Tobacco Free policy.

No comments: