Lately I've been taking the parkway home. It bypasses a busy stretch of highway with several lights. The speed limit is 25, and ultimately takes the same amount of time as the highway. But I enjoy driving through the slow drive through the park after work, and I can avoid stop lights- I HATE STOP LIGHTS!
Taking the parkway also means I share the narrow road with roadbikes. During rush hour I may end up tailing a biker or two for most of the 2 mile stretch. I have no problem waiting for a break in oncoming traffic to pass a biker with the appropriate amount of distance between the two of us. I will admit, I take a little bit of pleasure in forcing the folks who think this route is a short cut to slow down to the posted speed limit.
Anyway, yesterday on my way home I was behind a biker and couldn't pass him legally. Behind me was a long line of cars. Two or three back was a guy on the motorcycle who kept weaving out into the other lane to see if he could pass. Finally, he had the narrowest window to pass and he took off (nearly colliding with on coming traffic) and was on his merry little way.
As I approached the next intersection, a round-a-bout, there was a significant back up. It seems our motorcycle friend had wiped out in the middle of the roundabout and was trying to pick up his motorcycle and get it turned in the correct position.
The motorcycle guy was doing his best to get on his way, and away from someone who had stopped to help. It wasn't until I got into the roundabout myself that I saw why. Minneapolis Motorcycle Police were approaching the intersection. He did get on his way before the police got there, but I think a few scratches on his bike serves him right for being in such a hurry!
No comments:
Post a Comment