Monday, August 3, 2009

Lost in translation... or maybe not

Chris and I have been able to talk just about every day while he’s been gone, and I’m very thankful that we’ve had that opportunity.  A real year-long deployment is going to be a rude awakening for me.  (My sister gets to talk to her fiancé, who’s in Iraq, about once a week.) 

Today he mentioned his favorite Barnaby story.  At one of the castles he visited they had to check their bags and purses.  Nobody was allowed to bring anything IN that could be used to smuggle artifacts OUT.  So Chris asked “What about a bear?”  Which apparently didn’t translate well because the clerk just stared blankly at him.  So he grabs his backpack and pulls out Barnaby.  (I’m imagining a nice satisfying “plop” sound as B is pulled out by one leg and set unceremoniously on the counter!)  I guess the clerk busted out laughing!  Can you imagine a 30 year old man- obviously military at that- pulling a teddy bear out of his backpack?  She said she didn’t know, but when Chris showed her his camera with the other pictures she gave him permission.  Oh too funny.

Only five more days until he comes home! 

1 comment:

Jena said...

That is awesome! You two are so cute!